Sunday, December 9, 2007

Feeling Rummy in Aruba

After flying all night, I greeted the beautiful island morning with
a refreshing glass of Caribbean Rum Punch
...and was soon feelin' perkier than ever!My cups were all poised and ready for an exciting day of fun and adventure exploring the island of Aruba!
So we hopped in the Jeep and took off!
As you will see, my Island Chaperon was a very supportive
tour-guide...she drove so I could sip my Rum Punch
and take pictures.
Our first stop was the capital of Aruba, Oranjestad. Aruba is part of the Dutch West Antilles, along with two other islands off the coast of Venezuela. Aruba declared their "independence" from the Dutch in 1986, which was largely symbolic, but they do have their own currency and some real independence because of the income from tourism. Here, I refilled my cups with more of that tasty Rum Punch!
When we found this picturesque Alto Vista Chapel, I just had to stumble inside and take a peak...
How quaint!
And with the Alto Vista Rum Shop located right next door, visitors can conveniently combine their sinning and confessing all in the same trip! (Not that I would know about such things.)
More Rum Punch, please!
Outside the church was a Peace Labyrinth - they say there is no "right way" to walk a labyrinth. You only have to enter and follow the path..it may be joyous or somber...it might be thoughtful or prayerful...or you may want to just use it as a walking meditation. (Tip: I recommend doing it before you've had several cupfuls of Rum Punch.) And really, with my mazeophobia, I should have just avoided the dang thing altogether.
Arikok National Preserve makes up approximately 25% of the island, which is very arid and dry (not something you'd expect in the Caribbean.) The island only gets a few inches of rain a year normally, and you will find that Arikok National Preserve shows what the island is really like - lots of cacti and divi divi trees. My Island Chaperon said she thought they were "exceptionally beautiful and different." I said, "Yeah whatever...gimme that Rum Punch."
We saw some interesting natural land formations too - here's the "Natural Bridge." The pounding surf has carved this dramatic bridge out of coral rock - it is the highest coral structure in Aruba and the island's most famous landmark. The arch measures more than 100 feet long and stands 23 feet above sea level. (hic!)
The "Natural Pool" or "conchi" called "Cura di Tortuga" is a great place to swim. And drink Rum Punch!
Well, by now I was feeling pretty wasted hot and droopy...
so after draining what was left of my Rum Punch,
I said "Bottoms up! - Let's go shnorkeling!"
Here it is! The first Angel Fish ever photographed by a
drunken Traveling Bra!
"Hey Olga, how many fingers am I holding up?"
Phew! Back on land and drying out!
And in the the warm Caribbean sun, I passed out fell asleep...
and when I awoke, had a blazing hangover felt a bit deflated to see that the sun was setting on my exciting Aruba adventure!
I had an absolutely lushious time in Aruba...
and would love to return...but believe me,
these cups are never touchin' Rum Punch again!
So now it's "Ta-Ta Aruba!" and Hello NEW YORK!
(stay tuned....)
PS: The FuelMyBlog book, "Revealing The Human Behind the Avatar" is ready and can be purchased by clicking on the picture. As chosen by the FuelMyBlog community, all profits are being donated to Doctors Without Borders. Get yours today! The last day to order the book and guarantee a delivery before Christmas, is the 12th December at 11.59pm PST.

17 Bodacious Comments (so far) ~ Add Yours!:

Anonymous said...

wow great pics..I wonder how much time you spent in the chapel and how much time in the rum shop....:):)..be careful of the rum punch as it is a well known bra popper before you know it off it goes and you have breasts in the breeze..tropical mind you breezes that is...

meleah rebeccah said...

WOW! Now that was a vacation.

Im REALLY looking forward to your NYC adventures with Mimzie.

MYM said...

LOL @ robert 'breasts in the breeze" And yes, rum can be a bra popper.

That fish picture is very cool! Excellent pics...never been anywhere like that...Olga you are so lucky! And I've always wanted to go to New York! I'm jealous.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Glad you didn't get bra-napped!

Speedcat Hollydale said...

The awesome beauty
The increadible layout
The Hot steamyness

Aruba looks fun too. I have to know, where does the rum pour in, if you are a party bra? You sure looked tukered out in that last photo, little girl! He heee - a little hair of the dog on the flight home??
What's going on with the cactus... they looka funna to mea. Drowsey lika
Well... another fine and exciting adventure under your bossom. I must say, the life of a bra looks pretty good to me. I don't want to be a cat anymore!!!

Super post :) - SpeedyCat

Olga, the Traveling Bra said...

Crusty - "Breasts in the Breeze" sounds like a delightful name for a new tropical rum drink! Argggg....RUM!!!! Never again!

Meleah - Yeah! Look out New York!!!...here comes Olga!!! And New Jersey better be on it's toes too!

Don't be jealous of me Drowsey! Not everyone is cut out to be a Traveling Bra! I still love you! What did ya think of those big ol' cacti? xoxo

Me too Mushy! Once was ENOUGH!

Ya know Speedy, I was thinkin' the same thing about those cacti - I bet Drowsey is gonna add 'em to her "collection!" And I confess, I did have a little nip on the flight home....

Ta-Ta!(For now!)
~Olga

Hungry Mother said...

Looks like you had a ball. Aruba's a pretty cool place to kick back for a few days. I've been there twice and maybe won't return, but if I get cold enough, I know a quick flight there solves the chill.

Anonymous said...

Olga dear, you were hardly in any of the pictures! Perhaps your chaperone was doing a little more drinking than you were. I promise not to work you so hard when you come to NY!

Diva said...

I'm jealous. I love rum, I love the beach, I love watching the nice tanned bods...

Jealousy is a bad thing, but nobody ever said I was good.

PS, Dolly's waiting!!!

kellypea said...

Hmmm...I steer clear of rum. I had a run it in New Orleans once with several kinds all at once. No maze needed!

Fanton said...

I dare say Aruba will have to replenish their supplies of Rum before you go back, dear Olga!

Greg (Accessible Hunter) said...

I love rum drinks! Thanks for sharing your great pictures of Aruba. I can't wait for your next adventure and exciting pictures.

Olga, the Traveling Bra said...

Rum will warm ya right up too, Hungry Mother! But I think I'd rather have some nice fur cup-liners instead!

Oh Mimzie, I had fun taking all those pictures! Now I can add underwater photographer to my ever expanding list of accomplishments!

Diva - I DO wanna meet Dolly! But I'm kinda booked up 'til springtime. xoxo

Kellypea - Yeah, that rum really kicked my cups! Bleck!

Lord Likely - Indeed! I made quite an impression! As usual.

Ta-Ta! (for now!)
~Olga

Olga, the Traveling Bra said...

Hi greg! Thanks for stopping by! Next up will be NEW YORK! Woo-hoooo!
~Olga

Slutty McWho? said...

Oh, I am so jealous that you got to go to the Caribbean. If only I could have gone with you! But perhaps that wouldn't have been a good idea - my boobs are so small they look like bee stings and you have rather sizeable cups. People would think I'd bra-napped you!

Julie said...

Aruba! I am soooo jealous! I want to go snorkeling in Aruba! Would you take me with you next time? Would ya? Huh? Pleassssse?

Olga, the Traveling Bra said...

I embrace all shapes, sizes, and sexes, Ms. McWhore!
Wow - that IS an interesting name you have there!


Julie - I don't think Aruban officials are ready to see the likes of me anagain ytime soon! I drank all their RUM PUNCH!

xoxoxo
~Olga

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment...& I will comment back...tit for tat!