Saturday, September 15, 2007

POSTCARD FROM P.O. BOX HELL

Have you ever wondered, "What happens to things that get "lost" mail?" Well, having just endured a 3-week long detainment in the Apache branch of the Tempe, Arizona Post Office, I know...and believe me, it ain't pretty! Deep inside the bowels of every United States Post Office lies the "Unclaimed Package Bin," a cleverly disguised torture chamber which I will here and forevermore refer to as "P.O. BOX HELL!"

The cramped quarters, hellish heat, and creepy dark corners make this unforgiving dungeon a particularly perilous place for any wayward traveler, but especially if you just so happen to be a black lace bra who's already trying to cope with some big-time abandonment issues, and mounting claustrophobia.

Going to P.O. BOX HELL is every letter, package and parcel's worst nightmare...and the only way out is to push and shove and hoist yourself up to the top of the heap...and then do whatever it takes to stay up there and get noticed...which, even with my vast experience in that department, I found to be a very daunting task.
My cups runnethed over with a foreboding sense of doom as I witnessed dozens of sweet little cookies, who'd been lovingly tucked into Grandmas' care-packages, turn bad in their desperate attempt to attract someone's attention. Unfortunately, it usually just turned out to be ants.

P.O. BOX HELL also houses it's share of dubious characters from the underbelly of postal society...notably, those "discreetly wrapped in plain brown paper" guys...beneath their seemingly innocent facades, lurked things I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole! And some older packages had been there for soooo long, they'd abandoned hope of ever reaching their intended destinations and just sort of mentally "checked out" instead. One old fruitcake in particular, postmarked 1942, was so far gone, he took the term "fermented" to a whole new, odiferous level.

But the icing on the cake (and several of them were stinkin' up the place too) was when, late one night, a funny little Frenchman suddenly appeared outta nowhere wearing nothing but a leprechaun's hat and a big ol' Cheshire Cat grin!

"Sacre bleu!" he exclaimed as he spied me sticking out from among the huddled mass of postal refugees. "What iz zis magnifique and bodacious brazzeeire doing in a God forsaken hell-hole such as zis?!"

With that, he clutched me to his breast, snapped a quick picture...and Voila!...vanished into thin air! Was I hallucinating? Was I loosing my mind? Was I dead? Apparently not...and I've since learned that this guy is madder than a March Hare and created the whole "bra-napping" thing as part of a very clever publicity stunt.
(I tip my hat to your creativity, monsieur!)

Thankfully, my daring little Italian chaperon used her well-honed FBI tracking skills to conduct a search and rescue mission...once again risking life and limb to snatch me from the jaws of eternal postal damnation, and arriving just in the nick of time too...because if I had to spend one more freakin' minute in P.O. BOX HELL, I swear to God I woulda gone postal! But don't worry, that is never ever ever EVER gonna happen...because from here on out, it's UPS or FedEx............all the way, baby!
U.S. government surveillance photo of me and my intrepid little
Italian Chaperon bustin' outta the Apache branch of the
Tempe, Arizona Post Office
Signed, Sealed, and finally Delivered - I'm YOURS!

14 Bodacious Comments (so far) ~ Add Yours!:

The Naked Madhatter said...

I'm glad she's back with no harm... did she tell tou something??
Kind regards,
the Naked Madhatter

Olga, the Traveling Bra said...

Dear Naked Madhatter - I hope we can meet again someday...under more desirable circumstances...if come to France, perhaps I will look you up?
Ta-Ta! (for now anyway)
~Olga, the Traveling Bra

travelphilippines said...

hi olga its my first time here and im lovinnnn it when will u go to the philippines.?

bob said...

thank god you're free olga.

i was on my way to bust you out of there (ha ha, bust) but i caught a wiff. of. bacon.

bob on!

Olga, the Traveling Bra said...

Travel-Phil; Well, my rather lofty ambition is to cover the entire globe, so, yeah...the Philippines are on my list! Stay tuned!

Hey, bob...ever considered adding another "o" to your name? Just wondering
:)
~Olga

MYM said...

Glad Olga is in safe hands again!

Olga, the Traveling Bra said...

Me too! Phew! What an ordeal!

Sarcasm Abounds said...

you didnt see my passport while you were incarcerated in Gitmo, er Tempe did you?

SA

Olga, the Traveling Bra said...

No, sorry SA. But would you like for me to sick my daring little Italian Sherlock on it? She's been know to crack open a case or two...

jOolian said...

Olga :: i especially dig the Xtra mosaic digitized b&w imagery... kinda like a 7-11 surveillance cam ... but way better... stealthy.
Dammmm, that Olga Crop-Holder looks to be, ummm, strap2strap, half yer height, 'bout like an 8lb Largemouth Bass... Yoo Rawk'it Supreme!!! haagghh aghh haa ~julian

Olga, the Traveling Bra said...

Well, gee...I've never been compared to a large mouth bass before....but since it's comin' from YOU jOolian, I am deeply FLATTERED! Are you drooOOolin? Again!?!?

Heather said...

I'm thinking a reality show is in order.

I'm just saying...

Olga, the Traveling Bra said...

Hi WishfulWriter! You're the 2nd person to suggest that today! Hmmmm, well you never know...I mean, stranger things have definitely happened to me!
~Olga

Kate Boddie said...

Thank god for being found, huh? I could have been worse. You could have been up against some aging cheese.

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment...& I will comment back...tit for tat!