Monday, April 30, 2007

REEDSPORT, Oregon

This is my first official travel journal entry for my Travel-Blog! How exciting! I arrived in Reedsport, a small town on the Oregon coast, on October 9, 2006. To say I was suffering a let down would minimize my sagging emotions hugely. Yet, as Lisa unpacked me and set me gently among her belongings, I knew that I had to grab myself by the underwire and hold it all together. I retreated to a dark corner of the underwear drawer and began to collect my droopy thoughts.

It wasn’t long before my drawer-mates spoke up. There was nothing chic or trendy about Lisa’s stuff. These were no-frills types, without a fancy name brand in their lineage. These no-nonsense gals came from sturdy stock and were used to pulling on their straps and carrying the heavy burdens of country living. At first I was put off by the idea I, Olga, was now mingled with this ordinary, bargain-bin sort of stock.

Yet, as we became acquainted there in the soft darkness of the drawer, I realized that these gals had some great foundational qualities. They had that comfortable homespun combination of firmness yet tenderness that would pick you up when you were down and hug you to their bosom. I also learned that they had been through some pretty serious stuff with Lisa and knew how to tough it out through the ups, downs of life, and even when things snap altogether. They were soulful. And they were funny too! I found myself letting my defenses down and my tears turned to laughter as I listened to their comforting and humorous tales of country life. I knew I was safe, and had found a place of nurture, perhaps even healing. I fell asleep in that pillow soft mood with images of gardens, berry pies, fishing streams, green forests, and a country tune tumbling in my head…

I awoke on October 10th, uplifted and with a new strength pulsing through my underwires. I had never planned a life change like this. But now I was here, and with the support of my new friends, I determined once again to stand up and embrace life.
Just a few days later, I accompanied Lisa and her family to the Reedsport Annual Fogbelt Pumpkin competition. She and her husband grew a giant pumpkin. Theirs weren’t the largest in the contest, but Lisa was awarded the prize for the most beautiful pumpkin, her 241-pounder named Mighty Max.

I was here when Lisa and her friends learned that their dear classmate Pam needed a liver transplant. Our cups overflowed with tears of joy and relief when she came through this tremendous challenge successfully and is now on the road to health.

I was also here for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years 2007, and the very exciting Reedsport High School basketball season. Lisa’s daughter Chelsea is a sophomore there and plays point guard for varsity. It was a blast cheering for the home-team, The Reedsport Braves! (Though it also dredged up some wistful and sentimental memories of my “Ex” who had been a cheerleader too...and would occasionally bust out a spontaneous set of cheers when we were alone together.)Now it is softball season. Chelsea plays centerfield and is
a great hitter. School sports are a big part of life up here (and yes, I continue to be reminded of my former cheerleading days, but I am learning to lift and separate myself from painful thoughts of the past).

Lisa’s son Ryan attends University of Oregon in Eugene and I was able to make a couple of excursions to the city. It was a nice diversion to get on a freeway again, and even go to a mall. We visited Ryan at the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity house where he lives. We also greatly enjoyed cheering for the Oregon Ducks basketball team through a very successful season! Go Ducks! OOOOOO!

I also accompanied Lisa to her job at Shutter Creek Correctional Institution in North Bend, Oregon where she works as a nurse to the inmates there. I was
totally surprised that my sweet, gentle new friend worked in a place like that! But I soon learned that beneath that soft exterior she has underpinnings of steel and can stand up to the bad boys when she has to!

I was in Oregon for Valentines Day, St. Patrick’s Day and Easter. I have been to the dunes, the beach and the woods. I have been inspired and uplifted by the beauty and tranquility of the ocean, the forests, and the Umpqua River. And this clean, green, wholesome place will always have a place in my heart. It is full of honest, kind folks, and is almost like a step back in time.

I
sprung to attention when Lisa told me that it was time to pull up my straps and pack my bags again. I have been summoned to Carson City, Nevada for a planned rendezvous with a couple of The Girls in Las Vegas, Nevada!
I am reluctant to go. I have enjoyed the quiet and comfort of life on the rural Oregon coast and it is hard to pull myself away. I am no longer in the maidenform days of my youth, but I am full of life. I have grown and changed in my time here. I feel renewed, invigorated, and in many ways, brand new.

But the bottom line is; I am Olga, the Traveling Bra. My next adventure awaits…NEVADA or BUST!!!!!

0 Bodacious Comments (so far) ~ Add Yours!:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment...& I will comment back...tit for tat!